The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the Municipality of Mantova, the Italian Society of Silviculture and Forest Ecology (SISEF) and the Politecnico di Milano are organising the 1st World Forum on Urban Forests, which is titled “Changing the nature of cities: the role of urban forestry for a green, healthier and happier future”.
URBAN GreenUP is participating with other NBS Projects in many events with speakers and a dedicated moment.
On Thursday Nov 29, EC Senior Policy Officer Josefina Enfedaque will take part in the round table “Nature Based Solutions and the present” on behalf of the NBS Project Cluster, with a speech about Transforming cities, enhancing well-being through nature-based solutions (NBS). The EU-led mission towards the urban green transformation.
Moreover, a side event dedicated to Nature Based Solutions will be held on Friday Nov 30, with the participation of many URBAN GreenUP partners and other NBS Projects representatives as speakers. The debate will focus on overcoming barriers and enhancing benefits of Nature Based Solutions.
The event will be the occasion to launch the first Nature-Based Solutions Cooperation Manifesto, which amis to guide the adoption of NBS by other cities. It will be signed by NBS projects and it will be publicly open online for the collection of signatures from whoever is happy to support the global effort to renature our cities..
Below you can find all the details about URBAN GreenUP participation in the World Forum on Urban Forests.
We are looking forward meeting you in Mantua.
If you cannot be there, follow our Twitter account to be updated on the latest news.
Parallel Session - “Nature Based Solutions and The Present”
November 29 2018 - 15:00 - 16:30 @Teatro Sociale
- Thami Croeser - RMIT (URBAN GreenUP’s partner)
- Nadine Galle - Nature-based solutions: using geospatial big data for urban forestry quality assessments
- Josefina Enfedaque (Senior Policy Officer @ European Commission) - Transforming cities, enhancing well-being through nature-based solutions (NBS). The EU-led mission towards the urban green transformation
- Alessio Fini - Nature based solutions to mitigate soil sealing in urban areas: Results from a 6-year study comparing permeable, porous, and impermeable pavements
- Andrea Pianella - Green infrastructures and associated policies improve urban sustainability: a case study in Melbourne
- Lars Briggs - Stormwater management and blue-green infrastructure for improved urban forests. Climate Change Adaptation in Cities - experience from Denmark and Poland
- Theodore Endreny - Urban forest expansion is predicted to reduce the air temperature impacts of urban heat islands
Side Event - “Nature-Based Solutions: overcoming barriers, enhancing benefits”
Side event organized by URBAN GreenUP in collaboration with other NBS projects.
November 30, 2018 – 15.30 -17.00 @FondazioneUniverMantova – Aula Magna
Launch of the first Nature-Based Solutions Cooperation Manifesto (20-30 minutes)
- Raúl Sánchez (URBAN GreenUP's coordinator) introduces NBS Projects framework and the Manifesto
- Intervention of Josefina Enfedaque (Senior Policy Officer @ European Commission)
- Intervention of Adriana Nepote (Alderman for University, Research and Innovation, European Projects, Municipality of Mantova)
- Official signatures
1 hour round table on benefits and barriers of Nature-Based Solutions
- Overview of the benefits of Nature-Based Solutions
- Participants in the round table will outline the different kinds of barriers to the implementation of Nature-Based Solutions (political, financial, legislative and social) and explore possible solutions
- Clare Olver - Mersey Forest (moderator – URBAN GreenUP)
The academic point of view:
- Giorgio Vacchiano, researcher in Forestry Sciences at the University of Milan
- Carlo Calfapietra - CNR (ProGIReg)
The technical expert:
- Domenico Perfido – R2M (Nature4Cities)
The legislative expert:
- Kaan Emir - Demir (URBAN GreenUP)
The polical expert:
- Josefina Enfedaque (European Commission - Senior Policy Officer -Biodiversity, Ecosystem Services, Public Engagement in Nature-Based Solutions);
The social expert:
- Thami Croeser - RMIT (URBAN GreenUP)
The financial & business expert:
- Edoardo Croci - Bocconi (URBAN GreenUP)
The replication expert:
- David Struik (Think Nature)