Liverpool is a city in England with roughly 500 000 inhabitants. It is located in the Northwest part of the country, on the estuary of the River Mersey. The climate is temperate maritime, with mild summers and cold winters.
Liverpool is characterised by a variety of architectural styles and is one of the most visited cities in the United Kingdom. In 2008 it was nominated as the annual European Capital of Culture. Liverpool was one of the leading global trade centres at the end of the 19th Century. After suffering for significant population reduction and economic decline in the latter half of the past century, the city started growing again in the mid-1990s. Nowadays, the local economy is based on the service sector industries and it is one of the largest in the United Kingdom.
Liverpool supports numerous initiatives aiming to develop and implement green infrastructures and renaturing urban plans. In this spirit, the city will join URBAN GreenUP by following the “Liverpool City Green Infrastructure Strategy”. The goal is to tackle specific urban problems, such as poor connectivity for pedestrians and cyclists between different parts of the city, to improve the city centre environment, to reduce flooding and to improve biodiversity.
Planned interventions include:
- Re-naturing urbanization
- New green pedestrian and cycle travel routes and minor improvements of road junctions
- Planting of shade and cooling trees
- Carbon capture via growth of woody plants, shrubs and trees and water planting interventions
- Water interventions
- Implementation of sustainable drainage systems
- Reduction of flood risk and water-quality improvement via urban catchment forestry and culvert works for flood prevention
- Rain gardens to manage water runoff
- Singular green infrastructure
- Solutions for improved soil functionality and biodiversity enhancement
- Installation of pollinator spaces, walls and roofs
- Mobile and floating gardens that increase the city’s green surface
- Large urban trees and hedging acting as filters for urban pollutants
- Non-technical interventions
- Educational, engagement and awareness activities for citizens
- Support activities for the implementation of the re-naturing processes and of the green projects developed by citizens